Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Your A/C Unit?

A/C unit

As a homeowner, one expense that you can expect to continue to pay on a monthly basis is homeowner’s insurance, but the big question is does homeowners insurance cover A/C units?

Homeowners insurance covers your dwelling and personal property from damage, which is often referred to as insurance perils. Damage to your air-conditioning unit will be covered if it’s the result of a covered peril.

A peril is an event that may damage your home or belongings, like theft, fire, or a storm. The type of peril coverage you have depends on the type of homeowners insurance you purchased. Common insurance perils include fire, lightning, theft, ice, snow, sleet, smoke, vandalism, and freezing.

Floods, earthquakes, government seizures, mudslides, ordinance updates, sewer backups, and sinkholes are all perils that won’t be covered by homeowners insurance, according to Hippo Insurance. Those will require add-on coverage using a rider policy.

If a tree falls on your A/C unit, it will likely be covered. But damage from wear and tear or lack of maintenance is usually not covered.

Coverage also depends on the type of A/C unit

There are three components to homeowners insurance: dwelling coveragepersonal property coverage, and personal liability coverage.

If something happens to your homes HVAC, you can have it repaired or rebuilt under dwelling coverage. Your dwelling consists of your home and any other structures on the property, like a garage or shed. Personal property coverage includes your furnishings and electronics. Liability coverage protects you if someone is injured on your property and sues for damages.

Most homeowners insurance carriers consider central air conditioning units as “other structures” under dwelling coverage. However, window air conditioners are considered personal property.

This may vary depending on your homeowners insurance carrier, so it’s best to talk to your agent to determine how your air conditioning unit is classified under your policy. It will impact the amount of coverage available to repair damage.


Contact Dave’s Cooling And Heating

Does your HVAC unit need to be repaired or replaced? If so, contact us today by calling (301) 401-2780 or click here to connect with us online.


More Articles