Imagine that summer is here and we have our first extremely hot day with a heat index of 110 degrees Fahrenheit. You’re enjoying the summer with your kids inside working on crafts and playing with the dog because it is way too hot to be outside. Suddenly, you notice everyone is really hot! You check the temperature in the house and it’s reading 86 degrees. You start to panic. You realize your air conditioning system has stopped working on the hottest day of the year so far and that you could need a new HVAC system but you have so many questions.
Unfortunately, this is a scenario that happens to a lot of people at some point in time. Replacing an entire heating & air conditioning system is something most homeowners do not want to think about, as it can be a bit overwhelming. To help the process of purchasing, we compiled a list of frequently asked questions.
- How much will a new HVAC system cost? This is a tough question to answer because it has many variables. The cost will depend on the size of the unit, the make, and the technology the system uses. We recommend consulting a professional to see what exactly you need so that a proper estimate can be provided.
- Will a new HVAC system work better? Considering the current system is no longer working, yes it will work better. To be serious, newer systems do work better as long as the proper system is installed for your needs.
- Will a new HVAC system be more efficient? Assuming that your unit was older, the general answer is yes, for many reasons. One, systems are built to be more efficient and there is more advanced technology available to choose from. We also encourage you to take a look at our Pros and Cons of Different Heating Systems blog to help you answer this question as there are several different types of systems you can get. Two, it also depends on the SEER rating you choose.
- How big is a new HVAC system? Some people are concerned about the physical size of the new unit will be bigger, and the existing space will need modifications so it will fit. Another concern may be the capacity of the new unit – will it be sized according to a load calculation of the heating and cooling needs of the house (also known as a manual J).
- How long will it take to install a new HVAC system? At Dave’s Cooling and Heating, it generally takes about 1 day to install an entire HVAC system. If it is an emergency provide temporary air conditioning (or heat) if needed.
- When should I get a new HVAC system installed? Now! If your system has stopped working, get it installed now. Many companies will increase their prices in the “peak season” but at Dave’s Heating and Cooling, our prices are consistent all year long. If you need a new unit, the time is now.
- How long have you been in business? At Dave’s Cooling and Heating, we have been in business full-time for over 14 years. Our Team members have over 100 years of combined experience in the heating and cooling industry.