HVAC Return on Investment

Save Money on HVACIt’s no secret that replacing your HVAC unit is a big purchase for your home. Wouldn’t it be nice to get a return on that investment and recoup some of the cost? Well, you can! Here’s how…

Energy Efficiency

The best way to judge the energy efficiency of your new unit is by looking at the SEER rating. You’re probably wondering what exactly that is.  SEER stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio and is a metric used to measure how much cooling a system puts out for each unit of energy it consumes. The higher the SEER rating, the more efficiently the unit operates.

Trane explains that the Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF) is used to measure the efficiency of the heat pump. The HSPF is a ratio of the heat output to the electricity used over an average heating season and the higher the HSPF the greater the energy efficiency.

Furnace and boiler efficiencies are rated in AFUE or Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency which is specifically the ratio of annual heat output of the furnace or boiler compared to the total annual fossil fuel energy consumed. An AFUE of 85% means that 85% of the energy in the fuel will become heat and the remaining 15% will escape through the chimney or another means. The most efficient units will have an AFUE between 90% and 98%.


When considering the return on investment when replacing your system, Lennox reminds us that there is more to it than efficiency ratings and first cost. We need to look at the maintenance savings that comes with a new unit. With a new unit, the chance of service calls is less, and you should only have to worry about the annual maintenance, therefore experiencing a savings right away.

In the long term, we want to look for features that will make our annual maintenance calls easier and less time consuming, such as easy access to the unit and slide-out blower motor compartments for smoother access to the insides of the unit. This will, in turn, make for shorter routine maintenance calls, saving on the bottom line.

Unit Options

Another way to save money is to consider the factory installed unit options. Many options ensure the unit runs at maximum efficiency which in turn gives increased savings to you. There are even thermostats that record and track the runtime of your system or allow you to change the temperature setting from your phone.  Consider these options when choosing your new system.

All in all, having a conversation with your trusted HVAC advisor will help you get the biggest return on your investment, by getting the right unit for you and your home. There are many options available by several manufacturers, we encourage you to see what’s available on our website.  Call our office to schedule a consult and see what we recommend for your home.

More Articles